Over the last several months, we’ve covered a lot of different aircraft parts and functions as part of our goal to educate and inform pilots, mechanics, and aircraft owners about the importance of aircraft maintenance and keeping your systems in tiptop shape. In the next several articles, we’re going to take a deeper dive into all the airframes AAI supports. Whether you fly a Beechcraft, Bombardier Challenger, Cessna, Citation, King Air, or Piper, AAI can help you get the aircraft parts you need better, faster, cheaper, and without losing quality. Regardless of what airframe you own, AAI’s goal is to help you get access to hard-to-find aircraft parts without the headaches, long lead times, and high prices.
Bombardier Challenger Landing Gear maintenance
In this article, we’re going to focus on Bombardier Challenger aircraft maintenance, specifically when it comes to landing gear. Landing gear overhaul is no small job; it can be costly and requires your aircraft to be grounded for over a month. While this isn’t ideal, it is important to send your Landing Gear Components to a repair station where the job will be done with care and safety in mind.
When you partner with AAI for your exchange or overhaul, you’ll have options and high-level technical experience you won’t find elsewhere. Keep reading to learn more about how you can get your Bombardier Challenger aircraft back in the air with AAI.
What is an Aircraft Landing Gear?
A landing gear is located on the undercarriage of an aircraft and is used for takeoff, landing and taxiing. On a small aircraft, the landing gear has three wheels: two main wheels and a third wheel located on either the front or rear of the plane.
The most common type of landing gear is a tricycle landing gear, which has several advantages and is located under the fuselage and nose of an aircraft. A landing gear is arguably one of the most important aircraft components, as it absorbs impact, provides a suspension system, and facilitates braking and steering of the aircraft while on the ground.
What Does Challenger Landing Gear Overhaul / Restoration Entail?
When it comes to your Bombardier Challenger aircraft, you’ll need a landing gear 60-month detailed inspection, 96-month restoration, 120-month restoration, or 192-month restoration. Because landing gears are prone to corrosion, using a repair station that can help with proper corrosion prevention is important.
AAI can help you with overhaul, repair, exchange, troubleshooting, testing, and restoration.
What Happens When You Send Your Landing Gear to AAI?
When you send your Bombardier Challenger aircraft landing gear to be overhauled, you want to know that you’re getting the best service so you can get your plane back in the air with confidence. Landing gear overhaul can be expensive and lengthy, so understanding exactly what happens can be helpful for your peace of mind.
Here is a brief overview of what happens when you send your landing gear to AAI for overhaul:
- When AAI receives your landing gear, a work ordered is generated to maintain traceability throughout the overhaul process and checked to make sure every component is accounted for.
- The gear moves to the technicians. Every component is inspected to make sure there are no missing or additional parts.
- The gear is fully disassembled to see what is going on and ensure there aren’t any hidden issues that can’t be seen just by looking at it.
- The gear is stripped down. Primary coating, primer, cadmium plating, etc. to the bare metal as required to check for any hidden issues.
- Visual and dimensional inspection is completed to see what parts need to be replaced or reconditioned.
- Non-destructive testing is done to check for hidden issues that can’t been seen with naked eye
- Cadmium plating, anodizing and other metal treatments are added to the part as a base layer of protection.
- Required repairs such as re-chroming, oversize hole repairs and bushing replacement is completed.
- Paint is applied to the part for an added layer of protection
- The gear is fully reassembled back to operational condition.
- After the gear is reassembled, extensive testing is done to make sure the gear is up to the best possible standard.
- Final quality inspections are completed, and airworthiness certifications are issued.
- You get your gear back and your plane back in the air!
AAI Services Challenger 600 Aircraft, Challenger 601 Aircraft, Challenger 604 Aircraft, and Challenger 605 Aircraft.
AAI can help with maintenance on a lot of different Challenger models, including the Challenger 600 aircraft, Challenger 601 aircraft, Challenger 604 aircraft, and Challenger 605 aircraft. Regardless of the model you’re flying, AAI can help eliminate the frustration that comes with needing to repair or replace an aircraft part, especially on a tight turn around.
AAI Provides FAA Certified Repairs and Inspections on Landing Gears.
When you can’t find the parts you need, the problems multiply. You send in your plane for routine maintenance and expect to have it back in a week. But inspections turn up several parts that need to be replaced, which could take weeks or even months. What now?
The entire process of locating, ordering, and receiving certified aircraft accessories is a huge headache.
Uncertified, untested parts are all over the internet, but do you really want to risk your safety for convenience? Certified replacement parts can take a ridiculously long time to ship – sometimes months – and the cost can be absurdly high.
Unless you shop with AAI.
We’ll help you avoid the delays and headaches, and instead get certified, safe, and tested aircraft accessories so that you can fix your aircraft and get back to flying.
AAI provides FAA certified repairs and inspections on landing gears.
1. Call AAI
2. Get a quote
3. Fix your plane and fly